The Northern Neck Chapter of Master Naturalists are conducting a flora and fauna survey of Menokin as part of the Chesapeake Bay Gateways Grant from the National Park Service that was received in 2012.
The purpose of these volunteers is to help Menokin prepare trails/areas for viewing sheds and soft kayak/canoe public access sites. In addition, the survey will provide information for:
- designing content for maps, guides and on-line resources
- researching best alternatives for piers and viewing stations
- locating and identifying native plants and restoring native habitat displaced during the construction process
In return, these volunteers will receive:
- practice in the roles, taxonomy, and identification of native plants in Virginia
- an understanding of living shorelines
- volunteer hours
- great walks in the out of doors
A recent team of volunteers shared some photos of their work measuring beech trees in the woods along the nature trail.
A botanical survey of Menokin prepared by Lise Maring, Northern Neck Chapter of the Master Naturalists, is available on our website. Scroll to the bottom of the Selected Articles and Books section and click on the link.