Conservation at Menokin
October 12 – 13, 2013
Conservation and Visitor’s Center
4037 Menokin Road l Warsaw, VA 22572
Hank Handler – President
Patrick Handler – Vice President
During more than thirty-five years in business, Oak Grove Restoration Company has evolved from a high-quality woodworking shop into a full-service general contracting and consulting company specializing in historic preservation and the careful conservation of irreplaceable historic architectural fabric. Their diverse client base includes state and local governments, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the National Park Service, private homeowners, historic sites, and house museums.
Oak Grove has worked at Menokin for many years, starting with the return of the interior paneling to the property in the 1990s, and continuing with the stabilization and catwalk system that exists today. They are part of The Menokin Project Team.
Day 1: History of Wood
- Old growth and Second growth
- Wood quality
- Grading lumber
- Specific woods for specific jobs
- Skills and knowledge gained: a comprehensive understanding of unique qualities of wood species and their use in traditional building
Day 2: Traditional Tools and Methods
- Traditional woodworking tools
- How to make repairs to beams, splices, scarf joints, Dutchman etc.
- Window design, restoration, and maintenance
- Door design, restoration, and maintenance
- Skills and knowledge gained: a preliminary
- Knowledge of traditional wood working tools and their uses; an understanding of the traditional
- Design of wood windows
Once the registration information is finalized, we will contact you to see if you are still interested and would like to confirm with a paid registration.